Houses in Vedic Astrology are also called “Bhava”s. They are totally 12 in number. The whole zodiac of 360 degrees is divided into 12 parts of 30 degrees each. Each 30-degree unit represents one Bhava or house.
The significance of houses in Vedic Astrology and the elements they represent have been discussed elsewhere. If interested check out this page. In this post, I will be listing some very important points to keep in mind while assessing any particular horoscope.
Click the link if you want to know the significance of various houses in a birth chart.
Points to Remember When Analyzing the Houses in Vedic Astrology Birth Chart
1. The houses where benefic planets are located or the houses which receive the aspect of benefic planets give good results.
2. If the lord of the house is present in the house itself or if the house receives the aspect of the house lord it gives good results.
3. The house in question should be considered as the Ascendant itself and the placement of the house lord should be assessed. If the lord of the house under question is in the 1st,2nd,4th,5th,7th,9th or 10th houses when counted from the house itself then good results in regard to the matter of the house are felt.
4. Again benefics in the 1st,2nd,4th,5th,7th,9th and 10th from the house in question give good results while malefics in the above houses give bad results and mixed planets will give mixed results.
5. Extreme sorrow or misery related to a house may be seen
- If the house lord is in an inimical sign and is not conjoined with or not aspected by benefics
- If the lord of the house is in the 8th house
- If the lord of the house is in debilitation
- If the lord of the house is combust
6. If malefics are present in the 6th,8th or 12th houses from the house under consideration then they destroy the house.
7. Also if the lord of the house is placed in the 6th,8th or 12th from the Ascendant then the house is spoiled.
8. If malefics occupy the houses 3rd,6th and 11th house from the house under consideration then they will give good results during their MahaDasha and Antar Dasha.
9. If the lord of the 1st house is in the 8th house then the person will relatively be sick or might have health issues.
10. The lord of the 8th house from the house under consideration destroys the house.
11. The lord of the 22nd deccanate from the house under consideration destroys the house.
12. If the lord of the 7th house is in the 8th house then it might badly affect the marriage.
13. The lord of the house where Mandi is positioned will badly affect the house he is in.
14. Even if a planet is exalted or is in a friendly Sign or has great Shadbala it might not give great results if it falls on the middle point of two Cusps.
15. Equal importance as given to the house and house lord should also be given to the Significator of the house.
Significators of 12 houses are
- Sun – 1st House
- Jupiter -2nd house
- Mars – 3rd house
- Moon and Mercury – 4th house
- Jupiter – 5th house
- Mars and Saturn – 6th house
- Venus – 7th house
- Saturn – 8th house
- Jupiter and Sun – 9th house
- Sun, Mercury, Jupiter, Saturn -10th house
- Jupiter -11th house
- Saturn -12th house