Arishtha in Vedic Astrology refers to the evil effects of some unique planetary combinations on the life of the native. These ill effects mainly affect the health and/or longevity of the individual. There are also some other planetary combinations which if present will nullify any kind of Arishtha in a horoscope. All of these will be discussed in detail in the present post.
The following points have been taken from the classical works of Vedic Astrology like Brahat Parashara Hora Shastra and Jataka Parijata. All the evils and the antidotes for the same are always considered keeping the Ascendant in the birth chart in mind. Various books on Vedic Astrology recommend different age ranges to start assessing the birth chart in a person’s life. Most of them feel that till the native has attained the age of 12-14 he or she should not be given a horoscope reading.
Here are Some Combinations that Indicate Arishtha in a Horoscope
- If the Moon is in the 6th,8th or the 12th from the Ascendant and is aspected by malefic planets then the death of the child may occur early. But if the Ascendant has the aspect of the benefic the evil will be warded off.
- If the retrograde benefic planets are aspected by malefics then they have the potential to inflict death early in life.
- If the 5th house from the Ascendant is occupied by the Saturn, Mars, Sun and the Moon the native might lose his brother and mother fast.
- If Mars is in the Ascendant in conjunction with the Sun or Saturn and is not aspected by benefics then the native might have a very short life.
- Mars in the eighth house in conjunction with the Saturn and the Sun also indicates short life or immediate death of the child.
- If Rahu is in the house of the Moon or the Sun in conjunction with the Sun and the Moon and the Mars and Saturn aspect the Lagna then the child will die before one week after birth.
- Both the child and the mother might die if Saturn is placed in the house of ‘Karma’ or the 10th house, the Moon in the 6th house and Mars in the 7th house.
- If the Sun is in the Ascendant or in the 9th house, Saturn in the 7th and Jupiter and Venus in the 11th then the native will be very short-lived, say the scriptures.
- Any planet posited in the 12th house can be a source of evil especially planets like Sun, Moon, Venus, and Rahu. But the aspects of the same planets on the 12th house is considered good and is said to ward of all the evils related to the 12th.
- If the Moon is with a malefic in the 7th,9th or the Ascendant and doesn’t have a benefic aspect then it becomes the cause of death.
- If malefic is posited in the 7th and the Ascendant and the Moon is in conjunction with a malefic and these don’t receive the aspect of benefics then the native will be short-lived.
- If the waning Moon occupies the Ascendant and there are malefics in the Kendra(Angles) and the eighth house then the native will be very short lived for sure say the Jnanis.
Arishtha in Relation to the Mother and Family
- If the Moon is aspected by three malefic planets at birth it will cause the destruction in relation to the mother.
- The child will be deprived of mother’s milk if the Sun is exalted or debilitated in the 7th house.
- If the malefic planets are posited in the Ascendant, the 7th, and the 12th houses and if Mercury is in the 2nd house this combination may destroy the family.
- Mother will leave the child in six months if the Trines (1st, 5th, and 9th houses) counted from the waning Moon are occupied by malefic planets and if these planets don’t have the conjunction or the aspects of benefics.
Arishtha in Relation to the Father of the Native
- If the Saturn is in the Ascendant, Mars in the 7th house and the Moon in the 6th house then the native’s father will die early.
- If the Ascendant is occupied by Jupiter and the 2nd house by Saturn, Sun, Mars, and Mercury then the native’s father dies at the time of his/her marriage.
- If the Sun is with a malefic or is hemmed between malefics and if the 7th house from the Sun is also occupied by Malefic planets then the native’s father is killed/murdered.
- If the Sun is in the 7th house, Mars in the 10th and Rahu in the 2nd then the early death of the father is almost certain.
- If Mars is in the 10th house in an inimical Sign then the native’s father will be short-lived.
- If the Sun is situated in the Mars Navamsha and is aspected by Saturn then the father would have given up all the worldly affairs and become an ascetic or would have died before the birth of the native.
There are some unique combinations found in birth charts which if present will ward of any kind of evil and will act as antidotes for Arishtha. Such combinations will be discussed in another article.